Sunday, May 31, 2009

Sharing a bit of the Homestead.

This is my view from where I am writing my posts. It is the front of the house and facing due west.

We are about 400 feet off of the road and about 60 feet below the road level, meaning we are basically in a bowl.

The back of our property is lined with 7o' tall White Pines and just beyond that is 19 miles of horse trails designated as State Park by Trust.

The barn, looking down from the deck on the back side of the house. The edge of the White Pines is seen on the right.
The three Pines directly on the right of the barn will be taken down shortly so that the barn catches more direct sunlight. The barn faces due west and the roof receives more then 6 hours of direct sun daily.
This Spring I plan on doing two projects for the barn. The first is a small solar panel for low voltage lighting. I do have 120 AC power in the barn, but I prefer to use solar as an alternative.
The second project will be a passive solar hot water collector. It will be good to have hot water available in the barn, especially in winter to help with freezing water in regards to the animals. Although I have power in the barn I am leery about having active electric devices around straw, hay, and animals.
Brett

No comments:

Post a Comment