Monday, May 18, 2009

The result of my poll suggests Sustainable living seems to be the subject of interest.

I'm not surprised, the financial condition of millions of Americans have resulted in a fear not experienced in many decades.

Just the other morning while flipping channels there was a news story on the rise of backyard chicken coops in Atlanta. My wife and I have raised chickens for years and feel that chickens are very much part of a sustainable lifestyle home.

Flipping through more channels I came across another story on Greensburg, a city that was virtually destroyed by tornado and being rebuilt utilizing wind, solar, Geo-thermal energy and "green" methods of construction and design.

As Summer approaches I notice that gasoline prices are starting to rise again.

This summer go to a local farmers market. Support your local growers, eat fresh, if available seek organic.

Or plant a garden but don't overdue it, learn to do a little at a time towards that self sufficiency. If you plant a small garden think of a way to provide water from rainfall.

Try something new, several years ago I decided to learn to make bread by scratch. I use all organic ingredients starting with a basic Honey Wheat. It was a success and a lot of fun. Kneading by hand, the magic of the leavening and rising, and delicious warm out of the oven with a spread of butter.

I have now graduated to sourdough, January 1st started my own "starter" living in my refrigerator that I feed weekly.

I start the "thermal wall" garage door this next week. Pictures will be posted of progress and materials listed. This is the first of several passive solar projects I hope to do on the property this spring and summer.

Brett

No comments:

Post a Comment