Thursday, May 14, 2009

My first spring project.

I have to replace one of my garage doors. My garage is south facing so I am going to build a garage door that will function as a passive solar heat wall in winter and cooling carport in summer.

I will be posting pictures of each step with list of materials, cost and detailed instructions.

My plan is that in winter (when the garage door in closed most of the day) by using passive solar energy the door acts as a "thermal wall" that provides heat into the garage (and the rooms above the garage). In summer, the garage door opens up outside of the garage (not into) offering shade outside and cooler air into the garage.

My thinking is this, any repairs or modifications I do to my home and property should make use of technology, passive or active that will provide long term benefit and sustainability.

Brett

No comments:

Post a Comment