Friday, December 10, 2010

The Original BioBrick Proves Good Things Do Come in Small Packages

This past week I had the pleasure to meet with the partners and visit the factory of The Original BioBrick company, a Connecticut based company. (http://www.biopellet.net/).
Currently selling in the Northeast, from New Jersey to Maine, this sustainable energy (product) company is growing leaps and bounds.

As always, my disclaimer is that I have no financial interest in this company or product, have received no incentive for this article, and have purchased my test "bricks" at retail price.

So what is a BioBrick? Partners Steven Lanata and Jason Blakeslee describe this all natural product as "the cordwood alternative". The BioBrick is 100% wood, manufactured from recycled sawdust acquired from such sources as mills, and hardwood flooring manufacturers. The BioBrick uses no glues or artificial binders, being formed into a brick by the molding process and natural fibers and oils from the wood itself.

But what makes this product so good to use?

First I would say the ease of use. Since starting to use BioBricks in my wood stove and fireplace, I have not had to split and pile any wood, which has been very good for my back. Packaged into a 38 lb wrap (recycled plastic), each wrap contains 20 bricks, it is easy to carry into the house, and easier to store, as one 4' X 4' X 3' pallet equals a cord of wood.

Ease of use and packaging leads to another benefit to the homeowner, cleanliness, not having the dirt, dust, bark, insects and spiders associated with my wood pile of the past is actually a pleasure. No longer do I have a trail of debris following me to my wood stove or fireplace.

Cleanliness is also evident from the small amount of ash that the BioBrick produces, and Partners Steven and Jason have shared with me that commercial users of the BioBrick (restaurants that use wood burning brick ovens) have also noticed less creosote from using this product. They also like the consistent burn the BioBrick offers, allowing them to use only the bricks needed to arrive at the temperature required for their ovens, taking the guess work out of the equation of using wood.

I have noticed the same consistency of heat within my wood stove, and have particularly have enjoyed the fact that I can load the wood stove when I go to bed and find enough hot coals available in the morning to easily restart my stove. Steve and Jason told me that this is due to the density and uniformity of the brick, important to maintaining that consistency of burn.

Besides wood stoves and fireplaces (I highly recommend) other uses for the Original BioBrick are camping (many State Parks no longer allow the gathering of wood on site), RVs (again ease of carrying, use, and cleanliness), and cooking (wood burning brick ovens).

Like any great product, copycat companies and products are springing up. These copycat products come in different sizes, grades and quality, so don't be fooled, look for the package that says The Original BioBricks, The Cordwo0d Alternative. It is printed right on the recycled plastic wrap along with instructions for use.

Because of this consistency, density, and manufacturing quality, The Original BioBricks are endorsed by wood stove manufacturers around the country.

I have always been careful not to bring politics into my articles. I have always maintained that sustainable living is not political left, right, republican or democrat issue, but an individual, family, community, state, national, and global issue to address. However, one sad note about this sustainable and natural product has been the lack of interest and support from the local and state political community.

Even though partners Steven Lanata and Jason Blakeslee have made a substantial investment in manufacturing and labor to bring us this recycled product (saving countless trees in doing so), there has been no excitement or interest by local and state politicians here in Connecticut.

Maybe its not high tech enough or even glamorous enough to peek the interest of the politician, I don't know. I do know is that in my opinion, it is the only product that a homeowner should use in their wood stoves and fireplaces, I know from this moment on, it will be the only one in mine.

Brett

1 comment:

  1. Brett
    Interesting comment but we are having a different experience with the endorsement of woodstove manufactureres and biobricks. We have burned them for 3 years, love them, but sadly it is time for a new stove. We have looked at several different brands, including Vermont Castings, and been told burning Biobricks would void the warrantee because the very dry consistency of Biobricks make them burn so hot that overfiring and stove damage is an issue. Do you have other sources of info for us?

    ReplyDelete